Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Why Forty Days?

Why 40 Days?

Kind of rings a bell doesn’t it? This period of time comes up frequently in the Word. Consider with me the men and the stories surrounding the occurrences of “forty days” in scripture and I believe you will see, as I did, some pretty cool “reasons” for taking that amount of time.

Genesis 8.6 Noah A Fresh Start
In this story 40 days was the length of time it rained. And as it ended a whole new world awaited Noah and his family. It has been a great seven years so far at LSC, I look for a “new beginning” upon my return. “8” by the way, is the number of new beginnings.

Numbers 13.25 Spies To See Where We are Headed
Without vision the people perish (Prov 29.18). The spies looked over the land for 40 days. Seeing where they would be heading, the land flowing with milk and honey. May we be ready and willing to move in to the life of faith ahead.

Deuteronomy 9.9 Moses To Hear the Word of God
Moses was on the mountain waiting to hear from God. He waited forty days before God spoke. I am hoping for a shorter wait but will anticipate hearing whenever He speaks.

I Samuel 17.16 David To See the Obstacle Removed
The Philistines and the Israelites were at a stalemate in the valley of Elah. The giant roamed the valley daring anyone to come and face him. Then David showed up and the rest, as they say, is history. The obstacle, the enemy was removed, the victory won. I would covet your prayers for the same for our congregation. Whatever the obstacles might be.

I Kings 19.8 Elijah For Divine Provision
What a meal. It sustained him for forty days. I will be seeking the Lord for that life-sustaining milk, meat and manna of the Word.

Jonah 3.4 Nineveh For a Change of Heart
Nineveh was given 40 days to repent. Confession, repentance, placing my life once again on the altar in a fresh way. I seek the Lords’ work in purifying this vessel.

Matthew 4.2 Jesus For Testing/Perfecting
Jesus was driven by the Holy Spirit into the wilderness where he was tempted for forty days. It was not intended to do Him in but to show Him off. I don’t know all that lies ahead, but I will trust the one who does.

Acts 1.3 Disciples Encountering the Resurrected Lord
Jesus walked with them and continued to talk with them until He ascended into heaven. A personal encounter with the risen Lord… sounds pretty good. A literal vision of the reality of heaven as they watched His feet disappear into the clouds. Open my eyes Lord, I want to see JESUS.


So, forty days was used purposefully in the lives of God’s children throughout history. I believe He will use it in my life as well. It is pretty ambitious! I don’t know how much of this the Lord and I will get to, but I am hoping for… a lot!

Would you do me a huge favor and pray for me concerning these things. Maybe you would even want to join me in praying these things through for your own life.