Monday, July 2, 2007

Perseverance

I have been reading Revelation over the past few days and something struck me as I read again the messages to the churches.

These were literal bodies of believers john is writing to and as he writes to them about where they are, it resonates through the centuries to our church today. And because I am “the church” as well, there is an application in each message for me on a personal level.

The word that popped up was “perseverance” or “patience" in the KJV; it is found in 2.2, 2.3. The word means cheerful or hopeful endurance, patience or waiting… hopeful hanging in there.

Here is the text: (Jesus speaking)

"I know your deeds and your toil and perseverance, and that you cannot tolerate evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false; and you have perseverance and have endured for My name’s sake, and have not grown weary."


Now perseverance is a commendable characteristic, good ‘ol stick-to-it-iveness. And some of us are real pit bulls when it comes to seeing something through to the finish line.

Jesus is commending the church of Ephesus for their ability to hopefully endure. That is not, "I hope we endure" but rather to endure with hope. Yet there is still more tothe message.

It was vs. 4 that grabbed me: (Jesus still speaking)


But I have this against you, that you have left your first love.

It was the "but" that got me thinking. Perseverance IS commendable, but not at the expense of our love for Jesus.

Is it possible that while my head is down persevering, hanging in there, sticking it out; that I can loose sight of the One for whom I am persevering; that I can lose perspective while persevering?

It seems the Church of Ephesus did just that.

May nothing separate us from loving Christ; no activity, no ministry. Trials and difficulties can do that, so can abundance or smooth sailing.

May we guard our hearts and minds from being cluttered or overrun with stuff to the point that we loose sight of Jesus.

Seems like the church at Ephesus had its head down and their focus might have become only the grinding wheel they were pushing. Seems to me taht is if can at those times of just digging in, also look up; it will make the process endurable, enjoyable even an act of worship.

May we ever look up even when we are hopefully enduring and patiently waiting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Perseverance"

I looked this up in the dictionary - “perseverance” - and couldn't help but notice the first synonym mentioned - "doggedness". I couldn't help but take another look at the picture on your post referred to - appropriately titled "Pit vs. Porc" - a vivid poster child of "doggedness" if I ever saw it!

: )

I think Jesus qualifies as well aquatinted with “perseverance” – and similar piercing – to no folly of his own – but the folly of our own “doggedness” - as personified by the “Pit vs. Porc” – Jesus himself wearing the “crown of thorns”.

The church of Ephesus and the words of Jesus contain many present truths in our place and time.

The birth of the church of JESUS – birthed from the blood AND WATER that flowed from Jesus side – I believe upholds the ideal. The blood – a symbol of life and sustenance – the WATER – a symbol of the Holy Spirit – of refreshing/cleansing/renewing. I’m sure many of you could elaborate much more on the significance of both of those elements in scripture.

Regarding the church of Ephesus to Paul, it is his knowledge of the church of Jesus – his knowledge of both the blood and the water – that causes him to share these words to the Church of Ephesus – asking the Father to give them a spirit of wisdom and revelation in Eph. 1:17,18:

17. “I pray for you, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, give you the spirit of WISDOM and REVELATION, to have the knowledge of him.”

18. “That is, to have the eyes of your understanding enlightened, so that you may know what is the hope you ought to have of his calling, and what are the riches of the glory of his inheritance among the saints.”

The church of Ephesus - a church considered by many to be the most significant church in the bible (significance is a God given desire - living to be famous is it's counterfeit) – it is worthy to note that it is also the church that Paul offered no correction to.

I see no shortage of perseverance in Lawrence Street Chapel.

I do embrace the Jesus words of perseverance directed towards Ephesus being applied to this time with this fellowship.

Regarding Paul’s words to Ephesus regarding wisdom and revelation, consider the words of Jesus directed to his disciples – who had full access to the word – full access to Jesus – true friendship with Jesus (even with all of their shortcomings) – when he says:
“I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.” (John 16:12).

“It is to your advantage that I go…” after which the Holy Spirit would be released to all - – for it is the indwelling Holy Spirit that enables us to bear more of the revelation of Jesus than was possible for the original 12 disciples at that time.

The church of Ephesus needed revelation. The church of Ephesus needed a Holy Spirit enabled revelation.

To say, “The spirit of God is welcome here, and free to do as he pleases” is not enough.

Without revelation we are cut off from the purposes of God on the earth.

Paul was trying to obey what was on the pages of the Scripture because he lived carrying the commandment to go into all the world. And in his obedience he went. He had a burden for Asia and tried to go there to preach – and the Holy Spirit stopped him – which also means that He didn’t lead him.

He then tried to go to Bithynia, but again, the Holy Spirit said no.

He then had a dream of a man pleading with him to come to Macedonia – he woke up concluding that this was the direction he was looking for – and went to Macedonia to preach the Gospel.

It is a case of truth vs. greater truth – it was right to go and preach the gospel. It was more right to by way of revelation – in this case, a dream – to be concerned with the WHERE.

At Lawrence Street, there has been perseverance to “go”. Yet there is a need for revelation.

Why? Because what I know will help me. What I think I know will hurt me. It’s the spirit of revelation that helps me know the difference.

Why else? As the King James says - “Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint” – that means we restrain ourselves from going against the dream of God for us.

How do we get it?

Become a friend of God – God shares His secrets with his friends – call it a “relationship thing”. “No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you.

Be childlike – “At that time Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes.” (Matthew 11:25).

Obey what you know – clarity comes to the one willing to do the will of God – the willingness attracts the revelation. “If I told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?” (John 3:11,12)

Meditate – “I call into remembrance my song in the night; I will meditate within my heart, and my spirit makes diligent search.” (Ps. 77:6).

Live in faith – believe in the unseen. “Whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.” Thank God in advance for God has already willed to give you His mysteries (Matt 13:11).

It is my deepest wish that the current pains be minimized by the hope of a spirit-enabled revelation – the hope that a mother has during labor when she anticipates the coming of her newborn. “Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint” – and that the spirit of revelation would allow for restraint required to stay out of the quills that are not ours to bear – for Christ bore all the suffering on our behalf already – and the sustenance and hope of the new church would be the blood and the water that has flowed from His side.

I pray for Lawrence Street Chapel the same prayer Paul prays for the church of Ephesus:

17. “I pray for you, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, give you the spirit of WISDOM and REVELATION, to have the knowledge of him.”

18. “That is, to have the eyes of your understanding enlightened, so that you may know what is the hope you ought to have of his calling, and what are the riches of the glory of his inheritance among the saints.”

Anonymous said...

"aquatinted" - oops - meant "aquainted"

Can you believe spellchecker not catching that!

:)