Monday, February 2, 2009

Was She Right?

Here is something to think about...

Listen to Naomi's complaint and lament in Ruth 1.20-21:

She said to them, “Do not call me Naomi; call me Mara, for the Almighty has dealt very bitterly with me. I went away full, and the Lord has brought me back empty. Why call me Naomi, when the Lord has testified against me and the Almighty has brought calamity upon me?” 
To say that she had hit a rough patch would be an understatement. Earlier in chapter 1 we read that she and her family had left the promised land because of famine, so they were strangers in a strange land, then her husband died, then both of her sons died, leaving her with no heir.


Now, I don't know what trials you are facing right now, I am guessing you are facing some... most of us are. The proximity and the severity of this season for Naomi is pretty spectacular by any estimation. She says dont call me Naomi (pleasant), call me Mara (bitter).


The magnitude of it all had swamped Naomi's boat, she had exhausted all her hope and strength and was at her wits end.


Here is the question I have for you; was Naomi right? Was she right to say, " the Almighty has brought calamity upon me."


Does the Lord Almighty bring calamity, would our God do such a thing? What counsel would you give Naomi? Would you say, "Buck up sister", or, "Don't speak of God like that", or, "Your faith needs to be shored up"? What comfort, what word of encouragement would you offer Naomi in her time of need, what counsel?


I am going to let you think about that one for a few days and we'll talk more.


Feel free to leave comments if you like.


1 comment:

Scott Biondi said...

Calamity in the old testament was brought on by God for the sins of His people. We also know that nothing can touch the child of God without His permission.
So the Answer is yes. She was right